Micah 6:6-8

"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously-take God seriously."







Sunday, January 13, 2008

Chop Chop

Okay, so most of you know that I've been growing out my hair for locks of love. Why? Well, for the past, oh, 28 years, I've been wrestling with God about my selfishness. The struggle has been intense and early last year I knew God was asking me to do something unselfish. And also something that would require a long commitment on my part. I prayed but I could not think of such an act. Then the Virginia Tech tragedy occurred. I sat on my couch with the rest of you horrified at the scene. This is home. I live close to there. My Dad's hospital was affected by this. I wished I could do something. Then the news started highlighting each victim. They mentioned the professor, Christopher James Bishop. They said he always grew his hair out for locks of love. He'd get it cut and grow it out again. I thought it was sad they would not have his hair anymore...and God tapped me on the shoulder.
I don't grow my hair out God.
Tap.
I don't like it long.
Tap.
It would take a while.
Tap, tap, tap...it would be a commitment Allison.
But, it will look weird.
Tap. It's unselfish Allison.
But.
But.
Okay, fine.
So the journey began. My hair looked bad in the FL humidity. The more I let it grow, the more vain I realized I am. God and I have had some talks. Then finally, after months, it got past that weird out of control style. I learned how to manage it. Most recently, I've gotten a lot of compliments on my hair. It's pretty long. I like it.
Tap.
It is so like God to make me complete this unselfishly. Of course I'd start to like it. If I hated it, it would make cutting it selfish.
10 inches, Chris declared two months ago.
Tap.
I'm ignoring you, God. I like my hair.
Tonight I read an e-mail from a lady in my church. There is a little girl in her class who is battling cancer. A wig from locks of love is $1,000. If people donate hair in her name, it drops the price significantly. Two kids in this girls class have already donated.
Tap.
Okay. Okay. Okay.
I e-mailed her back. I'm getting my hair cut this week. It will be super short because these 10 inches are in a high ponytail. I'm scared and sad. But, not as scared as Jamie was when he was shot. And definitely not as sad as his family. Or Emilee's family since her diagnosis. So, here's to hair that may look bad again. I'd like to think I'm not as selfish as I was a year ago when this journey started. But I'm pretty sure God has some more commitment lessons for me.
Tap.
Here's to you Emilee...keep fighting, we'll keep praying!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear bobs are back in!
~Em

megan said...

oh allison. I love you and I sooo love this post. It's like having you right here; I miss being able to regularly hear the musings of your heart.

First, I'm immediately having luka read this. It will be just what he needs.

Second. I'm praying for you, for ms emilee, and for the girl who will one day scrutinize how her face looks crowned with your curls. You're beautiful Allison...from the inside, out.

love you.

ps. kyle's going to FL in a couple weeks. Maybe he can visit sometime??

Allison said...

Thanks, Emily...two hours and counting...

Megs, Please, please, please, send Kyle our way. And if you want to come we'll take you too...You can fly Southwest to Jax for $69...