Micah 6:6-8

"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously-take God seriously."







Tuesday, September 25, 2007

being cynical




I have been praying this month. On a regular basis I have asked God to help me be less cynical. I enjoy being sarcastic. Somewhere along the lines this has turned into cynicism. It's not a characteristic I recognized in myself. However, it has been pointed out to me on a regular basis, by well meaning sarcastic people. When I realized this about myself, I prayed. I wanted to be less cynical. I believed that cynical is one step away from critical. I don't want to become the person that criticizes and critiques everything I see anyone else doing. I don't like that person. Oops, I mean I would like to not be that person. So in my praying and searching I had the fabulous idea of looking up the definition of cynical. It is "Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others" or another definition is " a person who believes that only selfishness motivates human actions and who disbelieves in or minimizes selfless acts or disinterested points of view". After reading the definitions and the Bible, I'm wondering aloud, is it bad to be cynical? I mean Jesus had to come because we are selfish and flawed people. If any of us are only motivated by human actions we can be nothing but selfish. Spirit filled actions are different. They are the antonym of selfish. Those actions are filled by love. Love is not selfish. Love listens. It's motive is only to love unconditionally. I am becoming more okay with cynicism if it is spirit led. My prayer has changed. I'm praying for discernment and wisdom. If someone is motivated purely by themselves, I'm praying to see it. We all should be. Nothing good comes from us. God is good. We are fallen, broken, bleeding, hurt people. We are so incapable of helping ourselves; how can I possibly help anyone else on my own? I'm praying to be spirit led. To walk with God. To radiate unconditional love to those He brings into my path. I might hang on to the sarcasm though. I think it is a God given creativity to force people to see the world differently, hopefully while they are laughing. If you just sneered at me, you too my friend might be cynical. The question then is this, do I want to hang on to my sarcasm out of spirit led reasons or fleshly ones? This my friend will be the question.

1 comment:

Heather said...

hmm...spirit-led sarcasm. Yep, that could be my 2nd spiritual gift, right "after too many details":). Thanks for the interesting point of view. It makes my brain twitch:).