Micah 6:6-8

"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously-take God seriously."







Thursday, August 30, 2007

How do we get there from here?

I want community. I want to be challenged. I want to love deeply and genuinely care for others. I want to be a part of a group of people who walk together. I'm tired of church. I'm tired of games. I don't want to walk around the same corners as everyone before me and pass "go" all over again. I want LIFE and I want it abundantly. This past Sunday as I saw people gather around a nine year old who had just lost her father, I thought, "this is the body, this is what Jesus was talking about." How do we keep walking with her? How about the girl on the street, in Wal-mart, at the mall, the one in the pew in front of me? Does she yearn for community too? Is there something she wants to share. I believe small group studies go on for hours for a million reasons. One is that we just want to share our stories. In a world of so many ways to communicate, we have lost our ability to connect. I think many of us are realizing that. We want sit, eat, drink coffee, and just talk. It's not new. 50 years ago the women called it quiliting. I don't think that sat together in a room and said nothing. They played games in the yard and neighbors actually knew each other names. No, our generation doesn't want anything real radical. We just want to recapture what was lost in Gen X's pursuit of independence. We recognize it is okay to be dependent on each other. To be dependent on God. We are comfortable with saying "I don't know." We agree to pray and usually, we mean it. And, we will not accept or tolerate fake. We'll see right through you. We have been for years. Maybe the church is scared of postmoderns because of this. We were cute for a long time. Now, we are "young adults." The church overall seems to have a difficult time attracting us. I wonder when they'll realize that if you try to attract us, you will repel us. Wooing us to a building is fake. Wooing us to a relationship is real. It's never about programs, curriculum, service times, or basketball. It's about relationships. It always has been. We aren't radical. We are just reminding everyone that Jesus is a who. Who wants to meet him with us?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allison, you have done it again. Thank you for that insight. If it's okay with you, I am going to print it out and use it. I don't know what for yet but it's too good not to share. Love you, Aunt Cheryl

megan said...

oh my...we need to talk. This is so exactly what a small handful of us are dreaming about at our church. We're getting together every Sunday night to pray and think and dream...and Allison, you would love it.

I can't wait to share all of this with you. I haven't found the right words for the blog yet but hopefully soon.

megan said...

i'm such a dork. i just read luke's blog and saw that you commented on his entry about what we've been talking about. NO WONDER everything you wrote resonated so much. ;) haha.

love you

Allison said...

Thanks Aunt Cheryl. I don't mind at all if you share it. It's nice to know that my ramblings can maybe start a conversation. Love you too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Allison here is my web address. www.myspace.com/randalljamye

Anonymous said...

This is exactly why church attendance is down for people say 40-45 and under, because it's about legalism and not relationships. I want to be a part of the community of relationships and the real love of Christ. You're right it's about people, not about the formality of religion.

Our study group started this week-it's not the same without you. However, it's a large group and it should make it interesting-hopefully it'll help to develop those relatioships we all long for.

Miss ya girl!
Beth