Micah 6:6-8

"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously-take God seriously."







Monday, March 12, 2007

Come.

As I am typing this, I am overcome with sadness. I need to go to bed. I need to pray and read my Bible. I need to journal, so I sit here, with a modern day pen and paper. I feel sad and confused down to my core. I walked into work this morning and heard the words, "horrible accident." He was sixteen months old. His mom ran inside to get his jacket. His nine year old sister couldn't scream loud enough for dad to hear her. He raced to meet his daddy. And as his Daddy backed up into the driveway he felt the bump. He jumped out of his car and lifted his Suburban off of him. Mom came racing back outside and they started CPR. She is a hospice nurse, he is an EMT. They knew. Life flight was called, but they didn't fly. He was gone. They sat in a hospital for several hours waiting on a coroner. Friends and family congregated. Two of our workers were called. When they arrived they saw the family in the room. Mom was still holding the baby, like she would for the next several hours. I can only imagine that for her this weekend has been one long blur of a nightmare. The funeral tomorrow will have one tiny little casket that could never hold all of the hope for this little life and all of the sadness of it gone so quickly. It was a moment. A minute. A second. Sixteen months. Gone. It's so tempting to ask why. I don't even know them personally and I'm asking God why? Why, never ever gets us anywhere. We are never satisfied with any answer from that question. Answers just lead to more whys? I have to cling to Who? Who is in control? God. Who is love? God. Who holds us better then anyone? God. Who conquered death? God, through his Son, Jesus. Who is coming back to wake up the sixteen year old? God. Who gets to be with all of them forever? Those of us who are God's children; who know Him as Savior. God. I held Natalie for a long time tonight. I cried for that family. I cried for myself. I cried at my thankfulness and selfishness that it was not her. I cried at her touch, her smell, her body curled against mine. I finally made myself lay her down. I knelt by her crib and prayed over her. Who did I give her to? God. As hard as it is to imagine, He loves her more then I do. And He loves me. And He loves this hurting family. He will always walk with us, grieve with us. He calls death the enemy because it is. God is bigger. God will crush it. Death was victorious last Friday, but one day, death itself will cease to exist. Tonight I claim that for this family. For us all. God will return. We do not grieve as those who have no hope. He will raise the dead. We will be reunited for eternity. This Mom and Dad, they took their daughter to school today. They helped her explain what a horrible accident means. Who gives grieving parents the strength to do that? God. They trust Him. Please pray that He will make Himself known to them in undeniable ways for the rest of their lives. That is how long they will grieve. Unless of course, He comes back before then. And I have no doubt this Mom will hold her baby , full of life, for forever. Come, Lord Jesus, Come.

1 comment:

megan said...

oh allison. I felt every bit of that; of your heart; of the ache. I'm so very sorry.

i'm praying too.
love you so much.