Micah 6:6-8

"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously-take God seriously."







Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The trinity and beyond...

Okay, anyone reading this will know that I've always had an issue with the word trinity. I can give you at least a dozen reasons why, but two are the most essential.

1.) It is a feeble, human, attempt to define a God who exceeds all definition.

2.) My God is bigger then a triangle.

Without delving into a huge Biblical discussion here, let me say I believe in the general concept behind said word. God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit exists as one in perfect relationship far beyond my comprehension.

I've had a MILLION conversations with many people who attempt to convince me of this word. They usually only further convince me not to say it by now defining God as a triangle, water, pie, or my personal favorite, an egg. It's not that I don't understand what people are trying to say about the trinity...it's that others seem to be comfortable defining God in a place where I am not.

I am simply more comfortable saying, It's an amazing relationship that I will never understand, but pray to be a part of. That's all.

Fast forward to tonight. Natalie is famous for making up songs. She is singing away in the back seat, her new, "church song." The words? "I love church, it's where we go to worship God....something something something...God and Jesus are a circle and I love them."

"A circle?" I think to myself. I can hear the preacher standing in front of a bride and groom explaining the symbol of a wedding band...no beginning, no end, just as the love represented.

God is love. I John 4:7-8.

Hmmm....I like this image much better. A circle. Not three points all pointing in opposite directions, yet connected. A circle. No beginning. No end.

Just absolute perfect relationship.

Pies get cut, water changes based on temperature, eggs break (or get fried on drugs lol), but a regular old circle??? I'm still not comfortable defining God as a shape...but I have to admit, she made me stop and ponder more so then anyone else.

Maybe, just maybe, my three old is on to something here.

Luke 10:21-22

No comments: