Micah 6:6-8

"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously-take God seriously."







Monday, April 27, 2009

Momma Duck Part Five

I've not written much about "momma duck" lately because, well, she hasn't done much lately.

She's been eating, drinking water, and sitting around on her eggs. I feel for her. :-) Except, the sitting on her eggs, I just feel like a nice round egg these days.

But, yesterday she and I had another chat. EVERYONE has been telling us to give Momma Duck water. This has made me laugh because I'm quite sure she is capable of getting her own water. But, after enough people have asked, told, begged, and called to check, we have given in and started giving this dumb duck water. I mean, she's the one who chose to nest next to my front door.

Anyways, I've digressed. Back to yesterday. I knelt down to fill up her bowl and she pecked me!!! She, pecked my hand!!!!

I reacted like any other normal sane person. I told her "no!" Just like I talk to my dogs. She tilted her head sideways in a very Mocha like fashion. I think she was trying to figure out what no meant.

I said, "listen hear momma, I've let you sit at my door for weeks now, I've let my daughter feed you, I've even gone so far as to check on your sixteen eggs every night at 8 pm because I know that's when you are gone. I've made other ducks leave and held my dogs back. I've listened to lectures given on your behalf about how I should purchase food for you and provide you water. But, this my fellow momma is it. I have a line and congratulations you just found it. No more pecking my hand...and no more pecking any other male ducks around here, you have enough eggs!!!"

Feeling much better, I bent down, poured her water and left for church. She still looked a little wide eyed when I came home today. I think, I possibly taught a duck what the word "no" means.

I wonder when I'll finally get Natalie to understand?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Mama Duck may be getting a little cranky with her maternity situation, not unlike a few people I know.
Love you,
KK