Micah 6:6-8

"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously-take God seriously."







Tuesday, October 17, 2006

24 Hours

Funny how most days blur together into months and years that whirl around our minds. You know those days I'm talking about. Ordinary, routine days of normal life. Nothing special. Then, suddenly, one of those ordinary days is interrupted by a different minute. It is made up of sixty unique seconds and the entire day is changed, sometimes, your entire life is. September 11th did not have any significance to me in 2000. When I awoke the same day in 2001, I had no idea I would be able to tell you every move I made that day for the rest of my life. I know you can too. There are other days that are "planned" special. I call them normal, special, days. Christmas, Thanksgiving~holidays throughout the year. Most of us have our traditions on these days, big or small. There are also days we make special. December 13th is what we chose for our wedding day. I'll remember it and celebrate it forever. What is impressive is that all of these days have twenty-four hours. Didn't 9/11 feel like it was at least a fifty-two hour day? My wedding day felt like a quick three hour day. The actual seventeen hours I was in labor with Natalie feels chopped up into a day every two minutes and a life I can't remember~the one before we had her. And yet, regardless of the days circumstances, night is inevitable and the moon will rise. Sometimes, it is welcomed. Other times we are at a loss with what to do because we had spent months preparing for the preceding twelve hours. God, in His graciousness, keeps giving us more hours. More ordinary days then marked ones. It makes me think I should put more energy and thought into my ordinary days. Maybe He has an actual reason that we live in the middle of cornland. Maybe He actually wants me to establish a relationship with the co-worker I see everyday. Maybe He orchestrates our regular days to be extraordinary in His plan~ maybe He is going to come today and interrupt us all.
Until then, make today count. Be aware of people around you and intentionally become a real character in the story of their lives. Start really living the ordinary days. After all, how can it possibly be ordinary, how can I not think of something amazing to work on knowing today could be the day Jesus returns? Talk about an interruption in our day! Our time will cease. The sand will stop~ so will the earth. The month will be over...Not because the calendar was turned, but because the trumpet blast shredded it to pieces. Every eye will look up and see and every second hand will lose it's significance. Old will be turned new. Eternity will start. Forever will exist. Life will be given. Death, the ultimate interruption, will lose it's power. The day will end. Jesus will take His people home.
Maybe He will come today...

No comments: