Micah 6:6-8

"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously-take God seriously."







Sunday, November 09, 2008

If you would ask me

I'd tell you that I have found myself frustrated this week. I'm frustrated with many things, but mostly with the election. Now, to be totally honest, I really am not bothered that Obama won. I walked in the booth on Tuesday still wrestling with who to vote for. I had serious reservations about both of them. I also saw qualities I really liked in both candidates.

What has bothered me is this hailing of Obama as the first black president. Rather then celebrating a world where race was not an issue, where two people of differing races created a child who is half of both of them, the media and to an extent, Obama, has chosen to ignore that he is as much white as black. I am much more excited to have him in office because he is living proof that when races join together, good things happen and people move forward.

I do not believe him getting elected is a true fulfillment of Martin Luther King's dream. Why? Because I have heard over and over and over that many people voted for him because of his color. They voted to shatter the glass ceiling and make history.

Really? This man promised to help the poor, provide health care to millions, and to end a war. And some Americans voted for him simply because of his color.

If you ask me, I am sad.

I'm still looking for the day we vote for someone, not based on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Amen Sister! I firmly agree with every point you just stated. Miss ya! Rachel