Micah 6:6-8

"But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what GOD is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously-take God seriously."







Sunday, August 05, 2012

Blessing

I sat in the rocking chair last night feeling so very blessed. We attended family camp this week in Blowing Rock, NC. One of the most beautiful places on earth.

Sitting on the front porch, I took survey of those around me. We were laughing at our kids and at each other. As I watched my kids run up and down the hill I found myself thinking of other things I've seen sitting on that same porch.

Somewhere around thirteen or fourteen, sitting with my teenage friends playing "talk show".

I remember sitting on the banister next to one of my many crushes up on that mountain.

I can recall conversations with several pastors and youth pastors who have been such encouragers to me in my journey. I looked to my left and could see the wood beams that I sat and poured my heart out to a long time pastor. I told him I felt very called to a life of ministry. He listened, prayed, and encouraged me. This week, he is here for family camp and his daughter is directing the whole thing.

Then there was the conversation that led to a mission trip to Sweden when I was seventeen. Or the conversation regarding my choice of majors in college.

My mind quickly spun to another conversation. I was a little older, about nineteen. Sitting on that same porch talking to another associate pastor. We talked until three in the morning. I left the porch that night so grateful for a good, Godly, friend. How could I have known that several years later, I would marry that boy?

There I sat last night, among old and new friends. It was one of the rare moments in life where it all comes together, for just a moment, and it seems right.

Up there, on that mountain, surrounded by family, by friends, and most of all, by the presence of God. He never leaves me when I leave the mountain, but somehow I always hear Him more clearly there. Maybe it's the time out from daily life. Maybe it's the beauty. Maybe it's simply that God chooses to do so. Last night, I soaked it all up and was so grateful for the moment.

All too quickly, my children had a melt down because it was entirely too late for them to be awake. We had to put them bed. We then stayed up talking to these life long friends. Today we packed it all up and headed back down the mountain. About half way down, both of our phones started. Voicemails and text messages that we hadn't received yet, because we had no signal. As we drove home and talked about the demands of this weekend, I found myself wishing to be back.

That's when I remind myself that it always comes with me. Those decisions I made up there have been life changing, because they are led by God. I am in a life of ministry. I do continue to want to serve God by loving Him and loving others. I married my biggest crush. And, now, my kids have been introduced to this amazing place. They love it already.

Not far down the road Natalie said, "mommy I love you.". I said, "I love you too.". Natalie said, "daddy I love you." Chris said, "I love you too.". Natalie then says, "Micah I love you." To which Micah replies, "ah? You do?"

Praying that in the mountains, in the valleys, when things seem right, and when things seem wrong, we will hear God telling us He loves us. He always has and He always will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I have learn this put up and if I may just I desire to suggest you some fascinating things or advice. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles relating to this article. I want to learn even more issues approximately it!

Visit my homepage :: cheap vacation packages all inclusive